Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dear Iowa: Finding a Marathon

Dear Iowa,

You are a beautiful place to run. A couple miles in any direction and I can find a dusty stretch of abandoned road, surrounded by plowed cornfields and ramshackle barns. The sky is always blue and the clouds are always white.

I get friendly waves when I pass old-timers driving their hayracks. I get honks when I am passed by rednecks in flannel driving their rusty four-by-fours. Occasionally, I get a special finger from the soccer moms driving minivans when their kids are late for practice.

Such a welcoming environment for recreational running and competitive training- I am so blessed.

But why, oh why, Iowa, don't you offer any good marathons? The timing is off or the location is bad, or any number of reasons. I searched high and low. Half-marathons? Check. Triathlons? Check. 5ks? Check.

Get it together, man.

I finally settled for the Quad Cities Marathon on September 23rd, no thanks to you! Now you owe me. Over the next 25 weeks, I expect beautiful running weather, with an occasional thunderstorm. A couple tornados would not be remiss, either. You owe me.

Love,
Amanda

5 comments:

  1. haha I TOTALLY can hear you saying this! So far the weather has cooperated, right? I would say so! It's been pretty warm during the day the last few weeks! :)

    I would say I'd go run with you, but you're in WAY better shape than I am and I'd just hold you back...and also feel really slow & out of shape...even though I already do! :(

    Anyway...I love you girlie!

    -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL I would LOVE to run with you. Anytime. Anywhere. I'm totally down with taking it easy- trust me- I'm not exactly a speed demon!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written, I can tell that you really love to run!

    ReplyDelete